≡ Menu

For those with a bed bug problem, one of the best ways to contain them is using bed bug spray. A spray is a handy chemical treatment to manage your bed bug problems; however, people must exercise caution when using such sprays to avoid putting their health at risk. This article discusses some health concerns when it comes to controlling bedbugs with these types of products.


Using bed bug spray is a cheap and cost effective method for homeowners to control a bed bug infestation. However, some sprays on the market can pose a health risk thanks to their toxicity levels. While it is preferable to use non-toxic sprays, toxic sprays are an option if homeowners exercise caution. The trick lies in the spraying procedure and the safety measures used during product application.

Safe Bed Bug Spray

Safe Non-Toxic Bed Bug Spray

Consumer awareness groups have repeatedly raised concerns on the toxicity levels found in some sprays to control bed bugs. Most manufacturers never took note of the after effects of the chemicals contained in some sprays. Poisoning accidents occurred some of which led to product liability lawsuits costing millions of dollars. Such spray are also damaging to the environment.
As a result, there are now safer non-toxic spray alternatives to control bedbug infestations. Notably, most government agencies provide information on the best sprays that have the least toxicity levels. Some companies are also embracing the green revolution and producing non-toxic sprays. This is a welcome move for homeowners.

A homeowner should strive to use the non-toxic sprays to control a bed bug infestation. He should always do his homework to know which brands are non-toxic. It is also a good idea to regularly checkup the research conducted by government agencies. This is the best way he can keep his family safe from toxic chemicals.

Toxic Sprays – Where to Properly Use and Not Use

While using a non-toxic bed bug spray is the best option for a homeowner, there are safe ways to use toxic sprays. The list below gives you some hints on where not use toxic sprays:

  1. Avoid using a toxic spray in young children’s bedrooms. This is a place where you will have to use a non-toxic spray to avoid exposing kids to toxic chemicals.
  2. Do not use toxic sprays in the bed quarters of senior citizens.
  3. A hotel owner should not use a toxic spray in his business premises. He should instead rely on the non-toxic alternative. This is to keep himself safe from lawsuits from the guests frequenting the hotel.

The list below gives you some hints on where to use toxic sprays:

  1. Use toxic sprays in a vacant home. A proprietor can use toxic spray in vacant premises if he realizes that his previous tenants had a bed bug problem.
  2. Toxic sprays can also be used in factory warehouse premises that hold goods that are likely to be infected with bed bugs.
  3. Use toxic sprays to spray the outer surroundings of your home.

Importance of Following Application Instructions

The debate of toxic or non-toxic sprays does not matter if you follow application instructions. Toxic sprays can be used safely as per the manufacturer’s instructions. On the other hand, sprays that are considered non-toxic are harmful if improperly used.

Thus, it is preferable to follow the manufacturer’s instructions when handling any kind of spray to control bed bugs. If necessary, ask for advice from a professional pest controller on how best to use the sprays. Always wear protective clothing when using any kind of spray.

Where to Seek Further Help

As mentioned, most governments have departments, such as the US EPA, that specialize in advising the public on how to handle any kind of household chemicals. Seek further help from such departments when necessary. Moreover, many agencies and organizations provide free assistance to the public on such matters. Alternatively, hire the services of a professional pest controller.


Using sprays is one of the best ways to keep a lid on a bed bug infestation. Preferably, it is a good idea for homeowners to use non-toxic sprays as they are not only safer, but they also cause less damage to the environment. However, toxic sprays can be used safely by strictly adhering to the manufacturer’s instructions. If necessary, seek further help on how to use the sprays from government agencies, private agencies, or a professional pest controller.


{ 1 comment… add one }

  • Tera Penrod December 23, 2015, 1:32 pm

    I’m currently staying in a hotel that just came in to spray for bugs, claiming spray is nontoxic and with Orkin company. My concern is the professional wasn’t wearing Orkin’s uniform and I received nothing regarding the spray. Also, they only took 2 seconds in the kitchenette.


Leave a Comment